Friday, May 3, 2013

Life Lessons Wrapped in Sport

Today I was inspired to revise and re-post perhaps one of the more cathartic (at least in my little bubble of a world) blogs I've ever written. Why rehash something I've already done, you ask? To be honest, I was partially inspired by a good friend of mine at breakfast today, Richard T., that some ideas are worth repeating. Maybe I just need to revisit for myself as I get ready to start some new projects and re-visit some I put on the shelf are important to me.

In this ongoing process that is life, below are some reflections that I posted toward the end of 2012. I'm encouraged that I feel the same way today reading them as I did writing them then.. Take them as you will and enjoy:

Never, ever count yourself out. Stay in the game regardless of how bad things seem at the time. Difficult times are here to make us stronger, not break us down should we choose to see it that way. We are stronger than we think we are.

Try something new. Do something for the first time. Surprise yourself. 

Be solution focused vs. focusing on the problem. 

When in doubt, reach out.

Related, get uncomfortable from time to time. Become familiarly comfortable with getting out of your comfort zone. Every seasoned veteran in sport or other profession once didn't know what the heck they were doing. 

Be your own cheerleader. Accept yourself for who you are and work to be the best at being who you can be. Sure, you'll have bad days here and there, but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. 

If you believe in yourself long enough, it becomes second nature. When you don't feel confident, remind yourself what got you to where you are in the first place. 

An emphasis on quality is impeccable. An emphasis on quantity is often overrated. Focus on what you're doing in the immediate. Things get done better and faster that way.

Deliberately stolen from Dr. Rob Bell: "Find small ways to improve on what you're already doing, but make it better".

When in doubt, reach out (yes I said that twice). Sure, some people in this world may just plain suck, but good people exist. Surround yourself with supportive people and those who make you feel good. 

This one I've been working hard on...An athlete is who I am-being an athlete it has garnered much so far, but it doesnot define me as a person. The whole is different than the sum of its parts. 

So if you're still reading by now, I'll leave you with that little slice of gibberish disguised as insight-or the other way around.  Remember life is a process. What maxims do you live by? 


Stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment