Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mental Training Meets Everyday Life



We'll begin with a post of a more basic variety. To help achieve success, an athlete is advised to create a " "performance environment". This can take many shapes, forms, and modalities. The only requirement is that the messages, themes, and cues evoke positive emotion. 
I'm a huge proponent of visual and environmental cues as a staple to any mental training program. By consistently attending to positive cues, we slowly program our subconscious mind. It's like filling a well with a steady rain-when you need "a drink" you will have plenty of positive energy to access. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of positive statements on mood. Not only can visual cues help your performance and self-belief, but they can help make you a more positive individual overall! 
I have shared a few snapshots of the cues I have all around my place. I often write down things that I say to myself during a good training session as well as quotes that resonate with me. Hope you enjoy and gain some ideas and inspiration....

One of my favorite Ernest Hemmingway literary themes.


Very beneficial to repeat while recovering from my last injury.



  

As you can see, anything pretty much goes in setting up your positive performance environment. The trick is to find what gets your attention and evokes a positive emotional response: whether that be words, images, articles, quotes and place in areas you frequent. Mirrors, doors, work spaces and gear bags are good places.
Be creative, be positive, and have fun.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you started this blog! Taking notes from you!

    ReplyDelete